Thursday, March 8, 2018

“ The occurrence of a follower in Christ?”

My heart is not proud, O LORD, 
my eyes are not haughty; 
I do not concern myself with great matters
or things too wonderful for me. But I have stilled and quieted my soul; 
like a weaned child with its mother, 
like a weaned child is my soul within me.  O Israel, put your hope in the LORD
both now and forevermore. Psalm 131

I love the truth of Psalm 131. I love it because it holds up a reality that I long for more and more. I want to know the peace that passes all understanding. The peace of a weaned child secure in his mother’s lap. It makes me ask the questions, “Does the Psalmist evaluate and check his heart or is it a beautiful denial of pride, arrogance, and selfish ambition? “It is one of the shortest Psalms to read, but one of the longest to learn. It speaks of a young child, but it contains the experience of a man in Christ.”

In verse one there seems to be an inordinate desire for greatness and accomplishment. “Should you then seek great things for yourself? Do not seek them”. This self-seeking creates great restlessness and discontent-but the psalmist has left all that behind. You see, when a person is humble, he cannot think so much of himself (How do you see this?) because he is so engrossed in thinking about others. I want to know contentment of soul that is based not on my circumstances but on my unshakeable restfulness in God.

Now in verse two,” A nursing child, held by its mother, is highly aware of the milk she can offer and will squirm and cry if denied. A child who has been ”weaned” however, and no longer nurses, is content just to be with its mother, enjoying her closeness and love without wanting anything else. We so often approach God only for what he can give, rather than simply to rest in his presence. Do that now, through the Word and prayer, in Jesus’ name

You can see that this expresses a humble attitude towards God and a child-like faith.  Part of what it means to speak about God faithfully is to refrain from speaking about or for God outside of how God has revealed Himself. This doesn’t mean that we are mindless, close-minded, or fearful of thought and debate, but it does mean that we understand our place as the created children of an all-knowing and loving God.  Our God created all things, understands all things, and holds the universe together.  He knows what is best for us, provides for us, and takes care of us though all our lifetime. As God’s beloved children, we have the peace of a quieted soul, the peace that is beyond all understanding.
My God has all things in His keeping; 
He is the ever-faithful friend.

He gives me happiness after crying,
And all His ways in blessings end.
His affection persists eternally:

 All this is for your benefit, so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God."
Notice what the verses says:

It says that the grace we receive from God reaches more and more people every single day.

And when we express our thanksgiving to God, the glory is given to Him.
And so, let us keep on thanking God so that he receives the glory and not us.
With that, I will end with this simple reflection of thanksgiving from the writings of the apostle Paul.2 Corinthians 4:15

God Bless You and This Ministry!


No comments: