Tuesday, March 27, 2018

God Never Leaves Us


                                                
"Hey Ron, you remember when you were a kid and would often have many deep thoughts, especially after viewing a movie. This particular time the movie was Mary Poppins a 1964 American musical fantasy. You see this movie paralleled your life at the time, full of a lot of dysfunction.  You see Mary Poppins, employed her unique brand of lifestyle to improve the family’s dynamic. In the movie a magical and loving woman who descends down from the clouds in response to needs for a voice to the hurt within. She is not only firm in her use of authority but gentle, kind always there, using many songs to heal the pain.

Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

Is anyone among you suffering? Then he must pray Is anyone cheerful? He is to sing praises. James 5:13

In my thoughts, I imagined I was walking along the streets of the West End of Cincinnati with the Lord. Many scenes from my life raced across the sky. Some of these scenes may be positive, harmful and beneficial.
In each scene I noticed footsteps in the street, large and small. Sometimes there were two sets of footsteps, other times there was one only.
This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life, when I was suffering from anguish, sorrow or defeat, I could see only small, one set of footsteps that were negative, maybe the result of my environment or choices, so I said to the Lord,
“You promised me Lord, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life there has only been tiny sets of footsteps in the street. Why, when I needed you most, have you not been there for me?”
The Lord replied, “The times when you have seen only one set of small footsteps, my son, is when I carried you.”
“When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me” 1 Corinthians 13:11. “Listen, my son, to your father’s instruction and do not forsake your mother’s teaching” Proverbs 1:8.

The above is a assumed thought written by me today, to me as a kid, but its truth is sometimes everlasting, if your experience was like mine. Sometimes it seems that God has left us alone to deal with the floods that occasionally sweep over us. Finances do not meet expenses. News from the Doctor reminds us that this human body will wear out or susceptible to a disease. A loved one has been snatched from our life through a horrible accident. These things happen to us all. And we can feel very much alone. Even Jesus, as he hung dying on the cross, cried out in dismay that He at that moment, felt alone and forsaken by God

But as surely as Good Friday was followed by Easter Resurrection Sunday, so too in our lives we can move through difficulties knowing that Sunday is coming. Jesus said he would always be with us--through thick and thin. When things look hopeful, and when there is no light at all in the darkness of our lives. When the disease is in total remission, and when it is inoperable. When we are surrounded by family, and when it seems that nobody cares enough to call. God stands with us in all of life. Sometimes he sits like a quiet friend and shares our tears. Sometimes he must dance (to disco in my case) with us in joy. Sometimes he lifts us up and carries us on the way. Sometimes I think he even hits us on the head with a stick, just to get our attention. But be assured that our loving and redeeming God is always with us.  I love Jesus, Do You; he is with us. If we curse Him, he is with us. If we scream that he has deserted us, he is with us. "Love, that will not let me go..." is the first line of one of my favorite hymns. Probably because I need to be reminded again and again. Let us sing:

"Be still my soul, the Lord is on your side.
     Bear Patiently the cross of grief or pain.
Leave to they God to order and provide,
     In every change, He faithful will remain.
Be still my soul, thy best, thy heavenly friend.
     Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end." 

Prayer: O Heavenly Father, thank you for your constant company in our lives. Sometimes we don't see or feel that presence when storm shadows hang over us. In those moments remind us that nothing can part us from your love. Amen

God Bless You And This Ministry!


No comments: