Tuesday, May 1, 2018

How Are You, Really?

Maybe a feeling of being overwhelmed?"
 “Be still and know that I am God! I will be honored by every nation. I will be honored throughout the world.” Isaiah 46:10

I'm tired and don't want to talk to anyone. Yet, my daily routine of shuffling from home to the rec center and men’s ministry forces me to interact. So, I smile and say, "I'm fine, thank you. How are you?" 
The truth is, there are very few men or people I'm willing to open myself up to “that’s not what men do”, (is that you?) and so begins the good set of rules of being polite and asking, "How are you?" As we talk about sports etc. our burdens, do not point to a line of discussion, I struggle to be present and not check out. I find myself retreating to the inner depths of my soul, discovering that I am already over capacity. I am overwhelmed. Does this describe you?

My own cup use to be full of burdens; stresses of my new life being retired as a teacher and coach, weary of my so-called God's Call to serve, concerned with what the future holds, worried about a fixation on me/self and not Christ, a family members death due to a suicide. Pushing myself to be ever present for my oldest sister for her lovely grandson; but I choose not to talk about it. Very few friends really want to listen and even then, their own circumstances weigh heavily on their minds. It's not that they aren't good listeners, it's because I know they don't have what I need or I just do not trust the process of sharing as a Christian? Weary laden, I drive home, already mentally checking out. 
We all feel overwhelmed at times. You skip breakfast. You’re late for work. Your laundry basket is like a stack of dirty pancakes. Your loved one is in the hospital. You still haven’t returned that growing list of phone calls and text messages. Everyone needs you and you think you need to be cloned or counseled to just get caught up. Sometimes it is a result of taking on too much work or responsibility; other times it is caused by things we cannot control, like physical illness or emotional trauma. You feel stressed. Guilty. Inadequate. Overwhelmed!

You want to run away! You want to run from what feels too big and unfixable! For me I want to run to the corner of my room with a bag of jelly beans and just hide! 

Thankfully, God wants us to run when we’re feeling overwhelmed. But instead of running away from what overwhelms us (and turning to jelly beans), He wants us to run to Him. To run to His Word which settles us and shelters us.

We feel like Paul with that everlasting thorn in our side. Sometimes we can feel overwhelmed when everything is normal and we don’t see any reason for feeling that way. Even things we enjoy can leave us feeling overwhelmed if there is too much to do. We face daily pressures from jobs or school, from friends and family, and from the temptations to put moral sin at the center of our life and not focusing on Christ. These can pile up and seem completely unmanageable. Fortunately, the Bible speaks to us about feeling overwhelmed and how God uses that Thorn in the flesh to purify hearts and magnify Grace keeping us from being conceded.

There was one occasion when Jesus described Himself as feeling overwhelmed. It was in Gethsemane just before His arrest, trial, and crucifixion. “He began to be deeply distressed and troubled. ‘My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death,’ he said to [his disciples]. ‘Stay here and keep watch.’ Going a little farther, he fell to the ground and prayed” Mark 14:33-35. In considering the fact that we, too, can be overwhelmed by situations facing us, there are three things to note here: first, Jesus was completely honest about how He felt. Second, He solicited the help of friends. Third, He prayed.

Jesus took His burden to His Father. What a good model for us.
God is the God of peace. (Romans 15:33) Peace is a fruit of the Holy Spirit and something we can ask God for any time, having complete faith that He will answer our prayer. When we are feeling overwhelmed, it may also help to remove ourselves from the situation, if possible. We may need to decrease our workload, knowing that it is not sinful to let go of some responsibilities for a while. In any case, we continue to rely on God’s strength and pray for peace, knowing that He has promised to help us. “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore, we will not fear, though the earth gives way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea” Psalm 46:1-2.

As you sit pondering questions about being overwhelmed, be reminded of story after story in the Word of God where it is clear that we are meant to be in relationship with God-we are meant to be in deep fellowship with each other. This means to me is setting, “your motivation on the love of Jesus” a driving force directed by four words: Priority (chose love of people over things), Relationships (be with others in mine), Sacrifice (chose others over myself) and your Identity in Christ. Singing out loud his glorious name and praise his Holy name. So, go on, what are you waiting for? Write to God what’s on your heart share it with others and truly ask your Friend with a card, letter or e-mail, “How are you?” and “How we need each other” How we need to worship together being faithful through the ages to one another. Be Christ like, “I’m here to Listen to you because I am that person, and because you are that person for me, I love you”!

“Therefore, if there is any encouragement in Christ, if there is any consolation of love, if there is any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and compassion, make my joy complete by being of the same mind, maintaining the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose “Philippians 2:2-3.


God Bless You and This Ministry!












No comments: