Saturday, April 7, 2018

“Trust me”

I notice as I get older, I feel more vulnerable in many ways. My bodies pain lets me know that parts are wearing out. My mind seems to forget things that once were nearly automatic. I hope my values will last just one day longer than I last. Will I be able to afford the prescriptions I need to sustain my life with quality? Will I still be able to "get around" so I do not become more isolated and grouchy?  So many new challenges to trust at a time when I seem less able to meet them. Senior Cartoon character. Maxine, says, "Ever get the feeling your stuff strutted off without you?"  There is plenty to occupy the anxious Senior mind.

 For those who are younger, Hardship and its shepherding disturbing pain can come in many other forms. The heartache of an unhappy marriage or the disappointment of a miscarried pregnancy or grief over an emotionally indifference at church or rebellious child. There is the anxiety of the family wage earner who has just lost his/her job and the despair of the person who has learned they have a terminal illness. Others experience dash hopes and unfilled dreams. And then simply trusting every day along a stormy way, with danger, a path that is drear which is unclear comes along. I know what a valuable lesson for each of us to learn.  Each generation are so prone to look ahead and backwards in life to see how our problems could have or will be solved instantly or where our path will lead again quickly, that we waste much time and energy in worrying instead of simply trusting, delighting, and committing our ways to the Lord? Why Should we?

On the topic of trusting others, King David said, “It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man. It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in princes” Psalm 118:8-9

David spoke from experience, having been betrayed many times by those close to him. Instead of becoming bitter or regarding all people as inherently untrustworthy and not worth his time, he learned and taught a simple truth: sinful people will fail us, but we can always trust in God. 

Even my close friend in whom I trusted, who ate my bread, has lifted his heel against me. (Psalm 41:9)

On a larger scale, we skim in our daily news, see on the evening news as well as have faith in social media, instances of misery, sadness and pain on an immeasurable degree. War, terrorism, famine, racial injustice, murder, politics and exploitation occur daily in various parts of the world. In such days when substantial crises appear in every venue, even I, as a Christian am enticed to ask, and trust others with this question,
“Where is God? Doesn’t He care”.

“Do not boast about Tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring” Proverbs 27:1

We cannot trust someone we don’t know, and that is the secret of learning to trust God. When someone says, “Trust me,” we have one of two reactions. Either we can say, “Yes, I’ll trust you,” or we can say, “Why should I?” In God’s case, trusting Him naturally follows when we understand why we should.

The main reason we should trust God is that He is worthy of our trust. Unlike men, He never lies and never fails to fulfill His promises. If we endeavor to know God through His Word, we will see that He is worthy of our trust, and our trust in Him will grow daily. To know Him is to trust Him.

“God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?”. Numbers 23:19; Psalm 89:34

 Should we trust in ourselves, should we google it, read it on Facebook or have an easy bake moment? And have sinful, unpredictable, unreliable, and limited wisdom, which frequently results in bad choices and decisions swayed by emotion? Or do we trust in the all-wise, all-knowing, all-powerful, gracious, merciful, loving God who has good intentions for us? The choice should be obvious, but we fail to trust God because we don’t know Him. As already stated, we cannot hope to trust in someone or thing who is essentially a stranger to us, but that is easily remedied. God has not made Himself difficult to find or know. All we need to know about God, He has graciously made available to us in the Bible, His holy Word to His people. To know God is to trust Him.

Finally, as we learn to trust God, we should continually strive to be trustworthy ourselves. This is good and godly. We should be a safe place for others (Proverbs 3:29) and keep confidences (Proverbs 11:13). We should be known for our honesty (Proverbs 12:22) and a willingness to suffer with a friend in any age. Proverbs 17:17. Everyone goes through hard times, and we need our friendships even more when the sun is not shining. At times, we all let others down. But we should always strive to “walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love” Ephesians 4:1-2. Be reminded by this simple song Trusting Jesus:

Simply trusting every day, trusting thru a stormy way;
Even when my faith is small, trusting Jesus-that is all.

Brightly does His Spirit shine into this poor heart of mine;
While He leads I cannot fall, trusting Jesus-that is all.

Singing if my way is clear, praying if the path be drear;
If in danger, for Him call, trusting Jesus-that is all.

Chorus: Trusting as the moments fly, trusting as the days go by:
Trusting Him whate’er befall, trusting Jesus-that is all.

God Bless You and This Ministry!






No comments: