Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Salvation Thoughts



As I sat in church, during a funeral for the Celebration of Eternal Life of a friend, surrounded by the wonderful sounds of Faith and Songs of the service. I looked for away to dispose of my chewing gum. I remember the little slips of prayer-request paper in each pew, and I grabbed one.  Knowing this is an improper use of the slips, I immediately had the feeling, God was reminding me of their proper use when I noticed some writing on the slip I had grabbed.  Instead of making its way into the offering plate, this neglected slip found itself back in the pew. 

Yet the prayer request it held, though simple, speaks volumes for our world today. In a wonderful script on the line for “Name of Individual or to be prayed for” was scrawled,” People who are alone”. It gets better on another line section on the slip, “Specific Prayer Requests the request was for, “ Please help me deal with Salvation” and when people say,” How can I be saved? Why do I need to be saved? The profound questions were not lost on me. Yes, at times as a teen, I had heard, said something similar to that before. A phrase we/I use when things aren’t going well for us during times of struggled with doubts over our salvation. Actually, struggled would be an understatement. For years I was plagued by this question, wrestled with it daily, and could find no peace. What does that mean? The question kept raging in my mind; wasn’t sure if I had enough faith, wasn’t sure if I could be sure.

I asked counsel of a teacher and listened to Sunday school lessons, but it just wasn’t helping. Our Bible lessons on how to know you’re saved left me with more questions than I started with. The talk with my great aunt ‘Annie’ who was my encouraging Angel one day,” My aunt told me that when you were saved you saw a light, and something happened to you inside! And Jesus came into your life! And God was with you from then on! She said you could see and hear and feel Jesus in your soul. I believed her slightly. I had heard a great many old people say the same thing and it seemed to me they ought to know”. But still left me questioning again. But she also said, turn to the Bible on your own and start writing down verses that discussed salvation. “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved” Romans 10:13

Are you hungry? Not physically hungry, but do you have a hunger for something more in life? Is there something deep inside of you that never seems to be satisfied? Do you ever feel like you are locked out of life? Have you tried so many doors, only to find that what is behind them is empty and meaningless? Are you looking for an entrance into a fulfilling life? If so, Jesus is the way! Jesus said, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty “. John 6:35

Whenever doubts would assail me, I would get out my list and start reading. I would read Romans 10:13 and remind myself that I had called up the name of the Lord so I was saved.  I would read Acts 16:31 and remind myself that God does not lie, so if I believe on Jesus I am saved. As I read and claimed these verses, I would find peace. Ask yourself this question: “Have you believed on Christ and asked Him to save you?”  The bible only presents one step to salvation. When the Philippian jailer asked Paul, “What must I do to be saved?” Paul responded, “Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved” Acts 26:30-31. Faith in Jesus Christ as the Savior is the only “step” to salvation. The message of the Bible is abundantly clear. We have all sinned against God Romans 3:23 Because of our sin, we deserve to be eternally separated from God Romans 6:23. God promises forgiveness of sins and eternal life in heaven to all who receive, by grace through faith, Jesus Christ as Savior.
Here are some of the verses that helped me. Add to these as you begin your quest because of your struggle with doubts over your salvation.

These Scriptures reaffirm God’s promise of salvation especially during lonely times, we are saved by faith. First, we must hear the gospel—the good news of Jesus’ death and resurrection Then, we must believe—fully trust the Lord Jesus This involves repentance, a changing of mind about sin and Christ, and calling on the name of the Lord:

            John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
            John 20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.
            Acts 16:31 and they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
            Romans 10:9 that if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
            Romans 10:13 for whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
            Ephesians 2:8-9: For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:  Not have works, lest any man should boast.
           
I John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, “Who then can be saved?” Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” Matthew 19:25-26

God Bless You and This Ministry!



No comments: