Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Doctrine - Mission: ME OR WE



“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of Knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instructions”. Proverb 1:7

Proverbs 1 describes wisdom as a person crying out in the streets. What a beautiful picture. Wisdom does not hide. But shouts Publicly! We must go out and find that question and build a friendship with it. Wisdom can be a Christian’s best friend, especially in times of Biblical discussion on a crucial question that becomes emotional.

The group/individuals reach an impasse and everything stops because of the question raised on Doctrine or Mission; which is more important? Who will become the most influential the ones who thinks all about outreach and think doctrine stops this effort or the others who thinks the focused should be on the correct teachings and fail to think about outreach, even though we are in a world of shrinking congregations surrounded by unbelievers. It seems to me that both groups have something to learn?

“For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them. To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law. To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law.  To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some.  I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings”. 1 Corinthians 9:19-23

The first question to ask is whether this remarkable testimony of Paul is something we should imitate, or is this just something that apostles did—or that missionaries do who must adapt to other cultures?
The answer comes from one of the clearest commentaries on these words that Paul himself wrote. Look at 1 Corinthians 10:31 Here the issue is exactly the same as in 9:19 namely, how to relate to Jews and Greeks so as to win them for Christ.
He says,

Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.  Give no offense either to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God; in other words, adapt as much as you can in non-sinful ways just as I also please all men in all things, not seeking my own profit, but the profit of the many, that they may be saved. That’s the same as 9:22, "I have become all things to all men, that I may by all means save some." Then comes the answer to our question, in 11:1. Be imitators of me, just as I also am of Christ.
So that answer is: No, this is not a specifically apostolic or missionary way of life. It is something that he meant for all the Corinthian believers to imitate. He was imitating Christ, and he wants us to imitate him. So, hear this message a Word from God for you particularly and not just for someone else. Ask how you, in your sphere of life today, your 100-foot circle of family and friends, can use your freedom the way Paul and Jesus did, if by any means you might save some. So, for me it would be both Doctrine and Mission, do not water it down but bring it to many as possible in love and in a relevant timely way, “the real deal of the ministry; drawing on the wisdom conclusion that not only works, but which receives the blessings of the Holy Spirit based on Scripture.
God’s mission and our confession show that any church focused inwardly on itself has, in reality forgot what it means to be church. I think the phrase,” Outward Church that believe, teach, witnessing, confess and proclaiming Christ’s church” should be on a banner in our hearts surrounded by the Good News; A magnet that attracts and draws sinners to Christ. The Gospel of Christ is Christ’s own Command!
“The Good News”, we are one “Creations One Heart Beat” Genesis 11:6
God Bless You and This Ministry!



No comments: