Sunday, August 16, 2026

 


Serendipitous Thoughts by Sugar Bear

" The Narrow Road Still Leads to Life"
Have you ever whispered, “Lord, I signed up to follow You, so why does life feel harder?” I have.
As a young man, I wanted to be both a great athlete and a great student. I believed discipline, strength, and achievement could carry me through anything. Yet beneath the trophies, grades, and applause were childhood wounds I had never surrendered to God. I did not call them idols, but I let them shape my identity, anger, and need to prove myself. I trusted performance more than the presence of Jesus.
Without faith and without a mentor’s steady voice, those childish feelings became confusing. Somewhere along the way, I began to believe that trusting Jesus worked like an Easy-Bake Oven: put in a promise, wait, and out comes a comfortable life.
But Jesus never promised comfort. He promised life.
Matthew 7:13–14 says, “Enter through the narrow gate… For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.”
Following Jesus is not difficult because Jesus enjoys making life hard. It is difficult because we live in a broken world filled with sin, pain, disappointment, illness, loss, and wounded relationships.
Following Him means we no longer respond in the same way.
We choose forgiveness when bitterness feels easier. We choose obedience inside our 100-foot circle of influence when pride says, “Do what you want.”
We choose trust after the negative diagnosis, divorce, death of a friend, loss of a child, family fracture, or political relationship that falls apart.
Why choose the narrow road?
Because the road is not the destination.
The narrow road leads to real life not merely survival, success, applause, or the appearance that everything is fine. It leads to a life where anger no longer rules us, failure no longer names us, and success no longer owns us. It produces peace when circumstances remain difficult and hope that survives when our feelings are bruised.
Sugar Bear would say, “Do not mistake a hard road for the wrong road.”
You may not be off track. You may be exactly where Jesus said faithful discipleship would take you joining Him on His mission, loving your neighbor, healing your wounds, and becoming more whole, free, and like Him.
The gate is narrow, but Jesus is always there.
God bless you and this ministry!

No comments: