Serendipitous Thoughts by Sugar Bear
"The Journey of a Word
Before It Reaches the Mind, It Passes Through the Heart"
"Words travel through the heart(emotions) before they reach the head(logic). We hear them through our experiences, our values, our wounds, and our hopes.
That's why the words 'courageous citizenship' do not sound the same to everybody."
As I sat in church this Sunday, the themes of Jubilee, freedom, and Juneteenth rested on my heart. My thoughts wandered to Luke 4, where Jesus stood in the synagogue and announced His mission:
"The Spirit of the Lord is upon me... to proclaim good news to the poor... freedom for the captives... recovery of sight for the blind... and the year of the Lord's favor."
Before I reflected on those words, I remembered a childhood moment.
I was a young boy about four years old staring at a wooden cross in church. It wasn't polished or beautiful. It looked heavy.
I asked my great grandma Mary who was blind why Jesus carried such a heavy cross.
She smiled and said, "Because love is heavy."
I didn't understand then.
I think I do now.
Love carries burdens.
Love forgives.
Love listens.
Love stays when it would be easier to walk away.
And if someone asked me today if I would carry that cross, my answer would be simple:
I'd do it again.
Not because the cross is light.
But because love is worth carrying.
That memory helped me hear Luke 4 in a fresh way.
Jesus did not begin with popularity, power, or public approval.
He began with identity and purpose.
Who am I?
What am I here to do?
How will I do it?
Luke 4 teaches a rhythm worth remembering:
Identity before temptation.
Mission before popularity.
Obedience before success.
That rhythm still matters today.
Before we are Republicans or Democrats, conservatives or progressives, we are children of God.
Before we are opponents, we are neighbors.
Before we are speakers, we are listeners.
One thing I've learned from psychology and my faith is that we all carry biases. Not because we are bad people, but because we are human.
Our experiences shape how we hear words and how we understand one another.
That is why humility matters.
When folks stop listening for the truth and start listening only for their side, the argument gets louder and wisdom gets quieter.
My grandma Maggie might have said it this way:
"A flower won't bloom because you pull on it. It blooms because you water it."
Relationships work much the same way.
Trust grows when it is nurtured.
Understanding grows when it is nurtured.
Communities grow when they are nurtured.
The older I get, the more I believe that courageous citizenship is simply love made visible in community.
It is what happens when faith leaves the sanctuary and walks into the neighborhood.
Courageous citizenship is not simply a policy statement.
It is a practice.
A practice of listening before judging.
A practice of humility before certainty.
A practice of hearing the biography before the ideology.
A practice of loving our neighbors even when we disagree with them.
Not because agreement is required.
But because dignity "is not about us!"
Jesus showed us that path.
He proclaimed truth.
He healed.
He listened.
He taught.
He invited.
He loved.
Perhaps courageous citizenship begins there:
Identity before ideology.
Humility before certainty.
Relationship before persuasion.
Contribution before criticism.
In a world that rewards outrage, choose understanding.
In a world that rewards division, choose relationship.
In a world that rewards certainty, choose humility.
Because the Kingdom of God is built one heart, one conversation, and one relationship at a time.
And remember:
Words travel through the heart before they reach the head.
May we know who we are.
May we remember why we are here.
May we walk faithfully in the way of Christ.
And may our lives proclaim good news wherever God sends us.
God bless you and this ministry!


No comments:
Post a Comment