Wednesday, February 28, 2018

"Broken or Just Plain Puzzled"

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1 Corinthians 13:13

Chapter 13 goes one step further and mentions the three gifts that are common for all Christians: ”faith, hope, and love. Verse 13 says, “And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love

Paul’s point is that, essentially, faith, hope, and love are united; what happens to one happens to all. And what happens is that they “remain.” Agape love is the ultimate gift it involves faithfulness, commitment, and an act of the will. It is distinguished from the other types of love by its lofty moral nature and strong character. Agape love is beautifully described in 1 Corinthians 13

I notice, as I get older, I feel more in a weak position in many ways. My body lets me know that parts are tiring. My mind seems to forget things that once were nearly routine. Before I retired, I wondered about job security. Did I save enough that my finances will last just one day longer than I last? Will I be able to afford the medications I need to sustain my life with quality? Will I still be able to "get around" so I do not become more isolated?

So many new challenges at a time when I seem less able to meet them "Ever get the feeling your stuff strutted off without you?"  There is plenty to occupy the anxious Pensioner mind and sometimes an interesting question comes to my mind, "Does God love me?" While people of faith often recognize that times of loss and heartache breed doubt and despair, it is less recognized that times of success can feel hollow and create the fertile ground for questioning meaning and purpose.

This usually happens when we suffer or go through trials we briefly stop trusting God and harbored bitterness in our hearts toward Him and question His goodness.  Then I would say to myself,“ Some people (myself included) create their own storms, and then get upset when it rains.

Then I would wonder, “Why doesn’t Satan ever get the blame? Scripture says,” Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 1 Peter 5:8

” Never give up on God because He has never given up on you.

The question of whether God loves us – personally and individually – is common. Surrounded by the conditional love of finite humanity, we cannot easily comprehend that God would love us. We know our faults. We know that God is perfect and sinless. We know that we are not. Why would God, who is infinite and holy, love us, who are finite and sinful? And yet the great truth of the gospel is that He does! Time and again,

Scripture reminds us of God’s love for us. That is one of the primary ways You can stop doubting God’s love. By being in the Bible daily. In order to stop doubting, trust must be built. But it is hard to trust a stranger, or even an occasional acquaintance. When salvation occurs and the Holy Spirit takes up residence in one’s heart, it is just the beginning of a lifelong journey (and beyond) of getting to know God. The second way You can stop doubting God’s love is prayer. Prayer may be the most difficult discipline to develop in the believer’s life, but it is also the most rewarding. Our reading of Scripture should prompt our praying.

 In the first year of his reign, I, Daniel, understood from the Scriptures, according to the word of the Lord given to Jeremiah the prophet, that the desolation of Jerusalem would last seventy years.  So I turned to the Lord God and pleaded with him in prayer and petition, in fasting, and in sackcloth and ashes.
Daniel 9:2-3”.

The Bible has a great deal to say about love. In fact, the Bible says that “love is of God” and “God is love” 1 John 4:7-8; in other words, love is a fundamental characteristic of who God is. Everything God does is impelled and influenced by His love.

The Bible says that God was motivated by love to save the world John 3:16 God’s love is best seen in the sacrifice of Christ on our behalf 1 John 4:9. And God’s love does not require us to be “worthy” to receive it; His love is truly benevolent and gracious: “God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us” Romans 5:8.

Faith, hope, and love are the three gifts that will be ours throughout all eternity. God in His goodness gives us the privilege of possessing these gifts today, and we look forward to having them remain with us forever.

PRAYER: God our Father, we place all that troubles us at your feet. It is more than we can deal with today. Thank you for accepting this disparaging and inhibiting nervousness. And now please refresh our newly freed spirit, so we can rise and be the people you intend for us to be. Thanks be to God Amen! 

God Bless You and This Ministry!


No comments: