Monday, February 26, 2018

God's Steadfast Love



Changes are inevitable at any age. In fact it has been said, "The only constant is change." I love change----after it is all over and I have adjusted. But until that happens, I often feel anxious, fearful, uncertain, confused, and even alone. It is easy to feel that no one has ever gone through anything like this before. My situation must be unique and different. Why is this happening to me, now?

Change that is not of my own choosing is even harder. Am I moving for retirement, selling the home that I have known and loved for so long? Has my employment ended, and time seems to be my enemy? Are the children moving to a distant city? Do I need to rely on others for things I once did with ease? Not easy for the proud and self-reliant. I’ve belonged to that church for many years.  I was attracted to it because of location, the school and ministry, I liked the pastor’s and the people were friendly. I have served the Lord there in numerous capacities and our children have grown up there. I feel so sad with all of the changes; I have such a history with that church. And now…. Does this sound familiar?

The writer of Lamentations may have felt this way too. And in the midst of his fears he remembers the faithfulness of God.

Lamentations 2:21-24
 21   But here is something else I remember. And it gives me hope. 
   The Lord loves us very much. So we haven't been completely
        Destroyed. His loving concern never fails. His great love is new every morning. Lord, how faithful you are! I say to myself, "The Lord is everything I will ever need.
      So I will put my hope in him."

Notice that first he "remembers". Life can be so intense that we can forget the hope that comes from our faith in, and our faithfulness from God. Sometimes we even need to remind each other.
Second, he is flooded with the sense that God loves us, and never fails us. He sees God's faithfulness every morning. He has another day in the creation. And he expresses an acknowledgement of it to God.
Third, he makes his daily commitment to God: I say to myself, "The Lord is everything I will ever need, So I will put my hope in him."   Not a bad thing for each of us to do on a daily basis: R-A-C.
**Remember God
**Acknowledge His love and faithfulness to us.
**Commit to our faith and hope in our loving Father. 

Do you know the hymn below? Although I was influenced by many different denominations as a youth, I only became familiar with the below hymn as a kid when I was in an orphanage during Sunday school class.  I would just think with questions, with each new day I heard this song, “Does God gives us the chance to prove His faithfulness?  And throughout history, will He have been proven wrong? But I remembered what my mother said,” For His mercies are new every morning, no matter what”.

Being a child of God means we are never alone in our trials Hebrews 13:5. God gives us the strength and grace we need to endure any circumstance and to overcome any disappointment

GREAT IS THY FAITHFULNESS

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father; 
There is no shadow of turning with Thee; 
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not; 
As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be.
Refrain: Great is Thy faithfulness!
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!
Summer and winter and springtime and harvest, 
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide; 
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow, 
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

Prayer: Our God of steadfast love, we turn to you in our moments of aliment, fear, uncertainty, and in times of passage when the new, the unknown, threatens us with its indecision. Guide us with your great faithfulness, so that all we need to move on will be ours. Gather us in, and wrap us in your everlasting care, so that as we make tentative steps into unknown places, we will know your manifestation with us, and have nothing to fear. 
In Jesus Name Amen.

God Bless You and This Ministry!


No comments: