Sunday, September 10, 2017

The Past meet’s the Present



What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ. Philippians 3:8

This is undoubtedly Paul’s happiest letter he has written, for he is rejoicing in the great blessings both he and the Philippians believers had experienced. He encourages them to rejoice in the Lord always, for his bounty, glory, and provisions. He wants them to know God has noticed all they have done in the service of the Lord, both to Paul’s ministry and other areas, and that God would certainly reward them faithfully.
In the midst of all this joy, he also wants to warn them to stay on the right track. In the text, he begins by saying “I’ll end up repeating a lot of what I have said in other letters, so I hope you don’t mind hearing it again. But you need to beware of all of those religious folks who are totally convinced they are the only ones who are right about anything. They are the ones whose are all bark and no bite”. He explains that these folks feel they are more interested in appearance than they are the soul, and they think they are the only ones right with God. But the real believers are the ones who are led of the Spirit of God in his service, who fill the air with the great praises of Christ!

One of the great challenges in our Christian history has been to bring a Christian influence to bear on the structures of the world without becoming too much like the world. Jesus said that his follower was “the salt of the earth” not the stew! When Christians tried to be the stew, they were distasteful. For about a thousand years, during what we today call the middle Ages, Christians sat on most thrones in the Western world, but today the Church must still live down the scandals, distortions and misbeliefs that arise among us who tried to live it up when they were in positions of power. Plus, as traditional Christians, sometimes we deal with a lot of people not knowing what we stand for. My question, what is our Identity that would get people excited, without us losing the Truth, as the word with the help of the holy spirit, teaches us?

Reflecting on Paul’s letter makes me think of the present.  To me, Paul’s says, back then I thought I was really somebody. I thought I knew a lot of stuff, but I found out when I really came to know Christ in a real personal way, I didn’t know anything! And in my present state, I realize all of the accolades, awards, achievements, knowledge, traditions and credentials I ever gained are like dog dung in comparison to what I have in Christ I’ve dumped it all away just so I can embrace Christ. I can’t change my past life, but my present life is looking pretty good!

Paul goes on to say at the end of Chapter 3 “there’s far more to life for us. We’re citizens of a higher heaven, awaiting the arrival of the Savior Jesus Christ, who will transform our earthly bodies into glorious ones.”
As in the old song, “Ahead there is joy and gladness, and rest for my weary soul…”
Since I know Jesus in the right now in such an awesome way, my eternal future is so much better than anything here. I can boast in the Lord that I’m about to be absent from the body and present with the Lord! I’m going home with Jesus in the twinkling of an eye. When he calls, I’m going with him, because I’m ready! Oh yes, my eternal future is looking really good right about now!
While the Church attempted instruction of the world in the past, some would say didn’t make sense to the masses, let’s give credit for many significand contributions of Church to society in the Middle Ages. 

The Church did attempt to put Christians ideals into practice in society with a changing culture. Despite various mistakes and abuses, the Church did refuse to retreat into the merely private realm that seems to be becoming the one socially-acceptable niche for religion in that day. The Church was seeking to penetrate society with its influence While it may have stretched Jesus images of the Church as light of the world and salt of the earth, at least it took them seriously. With all its faults and excesses, at least it tried to hold up the Biblical view of God’s Kingdom as involving true change in society, and not merely in individual interiors. Hum. Perhaps a question for us today is: Are we willing to seek a Christian world less through the use of stubbornness toward tradition, raw power of no change, I wasn’t raised that way, I just need some time, I’m not ready to give it up, I’ve got too much going on to get saved, I’ve got hurt too often in church etc. But really is none of that, a good reason to let our present state live outside the presence of God!

 Let’s think about service with a relational missionary focus (each one of us evangelize one or two people at a time) rather than an event-based focus. Regardless of what our past was like, if we presently are not in tune with God (through his word), we’re in danger of missing a great future. Think about it: as a Cristian family let us serve God and others with the commandment in John 13:34-35, which says,” a new commandment, I give you Love one another as I have loved you so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” We who stay in the past are the missing piece of the future. Why not turn your life to him today and instead of being a waving neighbor how about being a hugging neighbor with deep relational love!

God’s Blessing and this Ministry!


No comments: