Sunday, June 24, 2007

That’s all Folks!

That’s all Folks!
John 15:15-17
“I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit – fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. This is my command: Love each other.”

The more I study the Bible, the more it becomes abundantly clear to me that God wants to have a strong personal relationship with us. It is also difficult to confess our spiritual need publicly. After all our religion is a very personal matter – just between God and us. Therefore, our relationship with God usually is not discussed with others, not even a spouse, children, or our closest friends. It seems wrong to express one’s relationship with God in the public square. I often wondered why? Listen to these words: “I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead I call you friends, for everything I have learned from the Father, I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit – fruit that will last.”

When the Holy Spirit helps us to understand the meaning of these words, we hear God saying, I want you for my friends. I have big plans for you. Together we are going to build an eternal kingdom, and you will have a major role in serving as my ambassadors. You are far more than servants. Servants don’t know their master’s business, but I have revealed to you everything that I have learned from my Father. I have kept nothing from you. We have no secrets. You may not understand all these revelations that have come from the Father, but in faith, you know they are true. You will have many opportunities and challenges in life, but none will be as great as this one. Always remember that you did not choose me, but I chose you to live with me in this Father-child relationship.
This means to me that he wants his children to be a part of building the Kingdom of God.

Let me try to humanize the story. A young boy was doing his best to lift a rock that was too large for someone his size. He huffed and puffed as he tried in vain to lift the huge stone. In spite of his efforts the rock wouldn’t budge. His father walked by and, after watching his son’s struggle, asked if he was having trouble. The boy answered, “Yes, I’ve tried everything, and it won’t move!” The father replied, “Are you sure you have used every resource at your disposal?” The boy looked up, frustration filling his face, and blurted out, “Yes!” Kindly his father bent over and said softly, “No, my son. You haven’t. You haven’t asked for my help”. John 15:16 says “Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.”
Have you ever heard someone say, “I don’t need anybody? I’ll go it alone.” In my younger years, when I had more ambition than common sense, I vaguely recall saying those words. We can’t go it alone. We need and must depend upon each other.

Bearing fruit to me knows two truths. First that Jesus calls us as friends. Secondly we must learn to be friends with Jesus we must love him and love others! How are you doing? Are you a friend to Jesus? Are you a friend to others? When was the last time you phoned and talked to past and present friends? A friend steps in when others step out. In life and death we all need friends to help us bear fruit.

God Bless You and this Ministry!

No comments: