Monday, July 30, 2018

What Sort of People Ought we to be, Humm? Peanut!


 "Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives"2 Peter 3:11 

As revealed in 1 Peter, Christians are “holy,” meaning “set apart.” We should live accordingly. We have been set apart by God for His specific purposes. That’s why we must live holy lives, making different choices than the unbelievers in what we do with our bodies, our words, even our thoughts. It’s not about self-improvement or religious rule-keeping. It’s about living as God’s people on a fallen planet with limited time before God’s destruction arrives. (which is very difficult for me at times, how about you?) If I could only “fly” Lord, “I can with You!”


Do you remember as a child being reminded that we should be grateful for all the good things we have in our life? Many of my relatives often told me to grow in grace, say my prayers, to be thankful for plenty of food, spread the word of God, a warm bed, and all the other things that I took for granted. I even recall the times I was sent to bed early because I wouldn’t clean my platter of food (it seemed like a platter because I didn’t like especially, beets and chocolate). Years later I was able to place the attitude of gratitude into a whole different perspective. As I discovered more of how grace works and began to see what we have in our Lord Jesus Christ, it registered in my mind with the help of the Holy Spirit that all great things and achievements are united by one single principle, “Counting your blessings.”

It is imperative that we be thankful for what we have in every area of our earthly and spiritual lives and stay positive. We know it’s troubling to be told to change, it certainly can be difficult to accept some of the sorrowful twists and turns that life brings our way. And there are few things that can stir the human soul more than the news of a terminal illness diagnosis. First of all, know that Jesus cares. Our Savior wept when His beloved friend Lazarus died (John 11:35)and be constantly punched around with words that may sound negative but are meant to be encouraging. Look around brothers and sisters of Faith and see the goodness that God has offered us here and remember what the apostle Paul said, “I can do all things through him who strengthens me.” Philippians 4:13

As always when preparing a message of faith, I am motived with these questions:
1.     Who I am?
2.     Whom do I Belong to?
3.     What is my Purpose?

Plus, my thoughts and prayers currently have the images of a few people (Charlie, Harry and Keith) who I have known that have inspired me through their personal difficulties. Most battle cancer or Illness’s and eventually lost their fight or continue the battle but their example of faith, courage lives on. Which showed me their happiness as people. I’m sure it was not because the pain and suffering they went through, but because having learned to be content for the “Joy of the Crown”. Showing faithfulness to God and the church until eternally They had/have reason not to be happy, after all, people would understand.  Paul says in Philippians 4:13,” they used that strength to give us a wonderful example of faithfulness.”. 

 Horatio Spafford wrote a great and mighty song about contentment I would like to share part of that song with you:

When peace, like a rive, attendeth my way, 
When sorrows like sea billows roll, 
Whatever my lot, thou have taught me to say,
 It is well; it is well with my soul.

Just like the apostle Paul learned contentment and happiness we also need to learn this valuable lesson. Happiness does not mean we must never try to improve our situation in life or be challenged with a vision from God.  We are to be content with what we have but that does not stop us from diligently using the skills and abilities we have been given by the Lord. I hope we can learn the lesson of happiness and be part of Gods most happy people. Let’s focus on all the positive power, courageousness, perspectives and promises we have in Christ instead of allowing our fears (false-evidence-appearing-real) to hinder us from being the sort of people ought we to be in Christ, growing in faith and glorifying God. 

“I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you.” Hebrews 13:5

Oh, Heavenly eternal Lord, Father of Jesus receive our heartfelt thanks for having Jesus bear your judgement for us. Because you promised to spare your people from terrible plagues that will accompany the final judgement.  We ask you to keep us in the true Faith To grow in grace and mature as Christian. We are saved by grace through faith (Ephesians 2:8-9), and we mature and are sanctified by grace alone. Thanks for reminding us that grace is a blessing that we don’t deserve. It is God’s grace that justifies us, sanctifies us, and eventually glorifies us in heaven. Grant us the help of the Holy Spirit constantly reminding us of what Sort of People Ought we to Be in Jesus Name Amen!

God Bless You and This Ministry!

No comments: