Monday, July 16, 2018

“Living nomadic in the Day “


“And a scribe came up and said to him, “Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go.
Jesus said to him, the foxes have holes and the birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head." Matthew 8:19-20

The above verses mean that the idea that Jesus had nowhere to lay His head comes directly from a conversation recorded in the book of Matthew and again in the book of Luke. Jesus was talking to a scribe who wished to follow Jesus and become a disciple. In fact, the scribe boasted, “Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go.” Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head “Matthew 8:19-20; Luke 9:57-58. 

Once when I was a Freshman footballer at Iowa State University, a fellow television interviewer startled me with his first question comment. I had been explaining what I hoped to do in the future, where I was hoping to do it, and with whom. I suppose I was describing it as a time when life would be very exciting. So, this fellow, whose name I can no longer remember, said "You are living so much in the future, that your life today is passing you by and you seem to be eluding your way." I felt insulted. But it got me thinking. He was right. And if he could have seen the coming years of my life, it would have been clear that I would repeat that unfortunate behavior many times. 

And today, in my 60's, I tend to look back a bit more often than I look forward. I roam through the years I spent so closely with some of my relatives and friends. The things we did together, moving from the projects to the suburbs. The new puppy that was bought for the family. The high school memories. But then came college, and then Iowa State University, marriage and I remember when I managed a large restaurant, and when my knees actually worked, and when, and when, and when... 

Finally, a career as a teacher/coach and now retirement. Hundreds of miles separated us. This great relationship continues, but can you understand if I say it is different. Don't we sometimes miss our relatives and childhood friends on this nomadic roam? 

So, I’m doing it again, just in a different direction. Still missing today by living in the future or the past. Oh, hopes or memories are good, as long as they are not consuming. But friends, this is the day that the Lord has made, so rejoice and be glad in it! It is not possible to live happily in the past or the future. Remember the past with joy and satisfaction, and face tomorrow with the hope only God can give butfind a way to live in todayto do this in His Word and how we are to live for Him.

But like any other relationship, it needs to be nurtured and strengthened. If it isn’t, it will wither and grow cold; God will seem distant to us, and we will no longer think of Him as our friend/relative. We might even drift into behaviors that don’t honor Him and instead lead us to destruction. The Bible warns, “Do not love the world or anything in the world. … The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever” (1 John 2:15,17). 

A prayer by Jesus I often think of, which was prior to His crucifixion sheds light on our purposefulness. Referring to believers, He prayed, “I have given them the glory you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. John 17:22

So how do we learn to do God’s will—to walk with Him—every single day? Think of a human friendship: How do we grow closer to someone on a human level? By spending time with that person—talking, listening, sharing concerns and lending a hand when he or she needs help. The same is true with God. When we read or hear His Word, the Bible, He speaks to us. When we pray, we speak to Him. And when we worship Him and obey Him, we are doing His will and participating in His work, “Right now Today”.

"O Joy, that sleekest me through pain, I cannot close my heart to Thee. I trace the rainbow through the rain.
And feel the promise is not vain, that morn shall tearless be" 

PRAYER: Loving Father, help me to look for joy in the day. The knees hurt, the youthful memories are stretched, and loneliness often creeps into my heart. I wait for the healing ointment of your presence in my life, my good friend and my redeemer. Thank you for my “nomadic” day. Amen 

God Bless You and This Ministry!

No comments: