Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Does God Feel Far Away








“Whoever desires to become great among you shall be your servant and whoever of you desives to be first shall be a slave of all.” Mark 10:43-47

It’s one of the most common or uncommon experiences of my Christian life. How about you? God feels far away, like he’s hiding himself, or at least withholding his reviving presence. You feel deprived, dry and anxious for a sense that he is still there, still listening, still caring. But you can’t seem to eke out a prayer because sometimes those songs of prayer feel empty, and they seem to return with an echo sound of setbacks fueled with a suffering heart. 

Let me point you to the biblical pattern in answering to that question. It is as if the Bible hears you ask the question and answers it. And the sum of the answer is: Seek him continually and wait for him. Seek him and wait for him. So here is the seek part from Psalm 27:8-9,You have said, ‘Seek my face.’ My heart says to you, ‘Your face, O Lord, do I seek.’ Hide not your face from me.” 

Sometimes my inner recesses are projected with a zeal to seek that happiness so much for the Lord That often it is shown by the way I ask questions or when I get fearful, my silence. Especially when I’m reflecting about scripture. I’ve notice as I join Jesus on his mission as I interact with others, I’m left with the songs of suspected sorrow (where are you, Lord?) Why are you hiding yourself from me? I am your child, so why, does it feel like you are ignoring my cries, I need your words. How long will I seek you, only to find silence? My languishing, O Lord the delay makes me fearful. O my God!  Does that resonant with you!

If this sounds like the cry of your heart. Be comforted-you’re not experiencing anything new or abnormal. You’re in the same boat as a multitude of other Christians who have gone before and now walk with Jesus. A comfort in this reality.

Yet I’m unable to put my finger on it exactly because it happens a lot even at church. Noticing an effort of modeling which is rare courage these days as this Faith Journey happens, trying to show true grit, inviting people on this trusted benefitable spiritual trial is a truth of witness that needs an awakening.

Being a former athlete, my metaphor would be,” Having a Bad attitude of self in mind” which can ruin the team or in this case the Body of Christ?

“But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says:
“God opposes the proud
    but shows favor to the humble.”
 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.  Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom.  Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.” James 4:6-10
Just recently a young man was riding a stationary bike next to me at the gym. The young man’s agitation, abnormal focus was apparent by his posture, and high frequent pacing on the bike. With the help of the holy spirit, I noticed he had a Green bay Packers shirt on and I asked him if he was a fan. He responded no, I’m just wearing the shirt. You seem to have a lot on your mind, would you like to tell me about it?
He began to share his story; you see for me, not fully being able to cradle his fragile heart, since my experience’s, feeling far from God was a frightening experience as well, I asked him if we could pray first, he said yes. Listening intently. His cry was that he has always been a rebellious and argumentized person. Apparently, he had argued with a dear close friend and his friend told him to leave and never to contact him again if he is just going to argue. Because of pride it drove him through the door. Days pasted by. But today on social media he read his friend had committed suicide. Without saying a word, I listened to his songs of suffering and at the end we prayed shock hands and I could see his temporary relief in his smile(I see the young man often at the gym and we talk often).
After the young man left all I could think of was Psalm 22. You see David’s cry in psalm 22 sounds a lot like ours: My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning? O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer, and by night, but I find no rest. Ps 22:1-2
Man, first of all, when you don’t feel God’s presence, rely on his character. His reign reminds me that he’s presents everywhere. While I may not feel he is near. He is Yet his holiness tells me I don’t deserve to be near him. But our reigning, holy God has given us the free gift of access by Christ’s blood. He’s given us what we don’t deserve-the freedom to draw near to his throne of grace with confidence.
So, when we feel God has forsaken us, we rely on what we know to be true: God’s holiness reigns, and he has granted us endless access to his presence. May we persevere with hope by running to God’s Word. In his perfect timing, may we let his truth transform our feelings, especially when the question,” Does God Feel Far Away?”. Let his truth transform our feelings, that we may be able to sing to others: 

God has heard when I cried to him.”

God Bless You and This Ministry!




No comments: