Saturday, December 8, 2018

“Friends We Will Never Do EveryThing Right”


“We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28

Of all the challenges thrown at Christianity today, perhaps the most difficult is explaining the problem of suffering. Suffering is a universal part of our humanity that exists in a fallen world. How can a loving God allow suffering to continue in the world which He created? For those who have endured massive suffering themselves, this is much more than a philosophical issue, but a deep-seated personal and emotional one. How do you address this issue? 

In the last few years, how many of you have had friends that have had surgery, sickness, accidents which lead to a disability or death, been diagnose with cancer or some disease. Some have been declared cancer-free others not so. In each case, I’m thankful to say that the suffering seems to have been a success. What a success? What do you mean a success? Let me explain!

“It’s never God’s will for his children to suffer.” This is a statement frequently used from both Christians and non-Christians as they interpret the character of God. Being immature I ask, why would a loving God not want his children to be happy? Sometimes I have an understanding reason. But most of the times I reason with my emotions. 
Yet in the diverse wisdom of God, as I look to the word, I see clearly how God uses suffering for our good and eternal joy. Which is far deeper than any fleeting happiness?The Bible give us many examples of suffering and some indicators on how to deal with it?

Just look at the book of Job. It begins with a scene in heaven which provides the reader with the background of Job’s suffering. Job suffers because God contested with Satan. As far as we know, this was never known by Job or any of his friends. It is therefore not surprising that they all struggle to explain Job’s suffering from the perspective of their ignorance, until Job finally rests in nothing but the faithfulness of God and the hope of His redemption. Neither Job nor his friends understood at the time the reasons for his suffering. In fact, when Job is finally confronted by the Lord, Job is silent. Job’s silent response does not in any way trivialize the intense pain and loss he had so patiently endured. Rather, it underscores the importance of trusting God’s purposes in the midst of suffering, even when we don’t know what those purposes are. 

It’s interesting that soon after most people receive their diagnosis, some talk about what it means to “suffer well.” And I thought: If there’s a category of life more alien to the secular, progressive mind, I don’t know what it would be. A dominant message in our society is that suffering is hopeless, worthless, and to be avoided at all costs—even at the cost of life itself. 

When we are suffering, we can be confident that God hears our desperate pleas. The Maker of heaven and earth is listening attentively, waiting for us to call out to him. It doesn’t need to be an eloquent prayer. Just a sincere cry for help.
Paul also gives us an example as to how we should view suffering as children of God. "But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong" 2 Corinthians 12:9-10).

One friend told me that the way she handles what’s happening to her right now will send a modeling message: not only that life with disability or suffering is worth living, and that God has a special place in His family for us.
Unfortunately, many of us fail to grasp this. All of my suffering has involved loss. Loss of things I valued. Loss of what I loved. Often, they were good things, sometimes wonderful things. While I wouldn’t choose adversity, it has been an unparalleled gift in my life. Has it been hard? Yes. But has it been worth it? Absolutely but none of them were as good as God himself. So even though I grieved their loss, I saw how God could give me joy without them. Because my joy became rooted in him, “it’s all about Jesus”. I wouldn’t trade places with anybody in this world to be this close to Jesus.
We will never be able to weather the ordeals that will come our way, unless we recover a practice, of suffering in Christ.Jesus said that, in order to follow Him, one must be willing to die. We will not all die martyrs’ deaths. We will not all be imprisoned, beaten, or tortured for our faith. So what kind of death did Jesus mean?

Paul explains in Galatians 2:20, "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." To follow Christ means we die to our own way of doing things. We consider our will, our rights, our passions, and our goals to be crucified on the cross with Him. Our right to direct our own lives is dead to us (Philippians 3:7-8). Death involves suffering. The flesh does not want to die. Dying to self is painful and goes against our natural inclination to seek our own pleasure. But we cannot follow both Christ and the flesh (Luke 16:13; Matthew 6:24; Romans 8:8). Jesus said, "No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God"(Luke 9:62).  

The cross of Christ can be regarded as the ultimate expression of God’s justice. When asked how much God cares about the problem of evil and suffering, the Christian God can point to the cross and say, “That much.” Christ experienced physical pain as well as feelings of rejection and abandonment. He experienced the same suffering as many people today who know the bitterness of isolation, pain, and anguish.Friends we will never do everything right, but we will all be better at following Jesus because he’s with us.

God Bless You and This Ministry!

No comments: