Thursday, June 14, 2018

“Bearing the Big Anguish of the World”

Jesus called out with a loud voice, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.”When he had said this, he breathed his last.Luke 23:46

Rather than focusing on leaving behind or a loss, Luke highlights our Lord’s complete and unmitigated trust in God His heavily Father. Although He carried the weight of the world on His shoulders, Jesus would not lose hope in God. Luke is making an important point for us, especially concerning our prayer life! If you are like most people, there have been times in your life when you have felt as though the weight of the world were on your shoulders, rather than on Jesus’ shoulders. I remember the trials and affliction of losing a sister recently, my sorrow was so great it felt as though I was abandoned by God and I was so tempted to pray, “My God, my God, why have You forsaken me/us? When this happened, I refocused my thoughts on Christ through prayer in a letter:

Dear Anguished,

Many days in my mind, I went to see your sister’s headstone in the cemetery again today. The visit made me want to write to you. Almost daily, I stagger across something that brings her to mind-and if this happens to me, how much redundant it must happen to you! Confessing, ah so tough for me at this time, that this memory or at least the emotions they create are not very enjoyable. Be assured: when impelled by such things as the sight of her baby pictures, a video of her dancing as she is being silly and the healthy-looking scent of chocolate (which she enjoyed), I savor my thoughts. But some things evoke memories that stir first anger then joy. Chief among these things is the way she left this earth. But the joy is when I saw the bumper-sticker slogan: “Prayer changes things!” Lord in Your Mercy, Thank You!

So how in the world do we know if God even hears our prayers? Even I at times it is difficult or when in anguished a thing hard to engage in “prayer”. Honestly, sometimes I may find myself not having any idea even what to say to God, especially during times of grief. It seems as though prayer should be so simple, yet at times it is so hard. I cry out, maybe prayer is something we need help with or maybe this is something we aren’t supposed to do on our own right now?

In Paul’s Epistle to the Ephesians, we see that God does indeed help us with this. We are encouraged to continue “praying at all times in the Spirit” Ephesians 6:18. Interesting this Praying in the Spirit. What does it mean for us? How do we go about praying “in the Spirit”? You see Paul is not trying to confuse us. Think of his words as telling you that your prayers must be kept faithful in line with the Spirit’s words (Galatians 5:25). We order our prayers according to God’s written word-praying those things the word commands us to pray Matthew 6:9-13, making our requests and speaking our thanks in the same manner God’s written word itself speaks thanks and praise. In the beginning it can be as simple as, “Lord have Mercy or Jesus wept”.

Thanks be to God, even in our darkest hour of Fear which I call, false-Evidence -Appearing- Real. Yes, at times we do have a tough row to dig, but even then, all is not lost! I think to myself, “Ron, regardless of how burdensome our circumstances may be, we may trust our Lord to uphold and sustain us always through Prayer”. Remember we are not forsaken; we will never be forsaken. Yes, our Lord Jesus died on the cross forsaken by God for our sins, but on the third day He rose again triumphant and victorious over all that would defeat us. Having fully paid the eternal penalty for the sins of all the world-including all of our sins -Jesus then committed His spirit to the Father’s keeping. 

Paul wrote, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:6-7). Worry about nothing; pray about everything.

Bear in mind as Christian’s this is our way of communicating with God. We pray to praise God and thank Him and tell Him how much we love Him. We pray to enjoy His presence and tell Him what is going on in our lives. We pray to make requests and seek guidance and ask for wisdom even during times of Anguish and Anxiety.

Behold, the Bible contains many examples of prayer and plenty of encouragements to pray (see Luke 18:1; Romans 12:12 and Ephesians 6:8.God’s house is to be a house of prayer (Mark 11:17), and God’s people are to be people of prayer: “Dear friends, by building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in God’s love” (Jude 1:20-21). 

Dear Lord, 

help us remember what a difference it makes when we make time with You a priority for life. Awaken us in body and spirit each day with a desire to meet with You. Grant us words of affirmation, assurance and wisdom with the help of the Holy Spirit over our hearts as we prepare to go into each day in your word. 
In Jesus' Name, Amen.

God Bless You and This Ministry!





No comments: