Monday, April 17, 2017

“Where I’m from”

 I am from rhythm and blues, from Royal Crown grease and Afro Sheen cosmetics

I am from hot water cornbread, Collard Greens, hair straightening, jazz playing

I am from Cincinnati Laura Homes and Lincoln Courts Projects
I am from Fried Chicken Sunday family gatherings, dominoes being played, the dozens and
Bid Whist, to the blaring of Aretha, Sam Cook, Otis Redding and Jackie Wilson
I am from the Black and I’m Proud culture, love and respect,  love yourself first before demanding it from others, as I listen to Motown.
I am from “hard head morals that were sound, even a bit puritanical”, and “tragedy of the age.
I am from poverty, single family mom and bondage of an Orphanage” thinking no one cares”
 I am from the chocolate rose that grew from the deaths of what is Truth?
I am from Indeed, that men know so little of,” Colored Men” wondering ,How did I become a Teacher!
I am from, none of this treatment your goanna get while driving “ obscure”
I am from a Christian home
I am from Monroe, Georgia Chitterlings and Pigs Feet
by way of Cincinnati style chili,
I am from my grandma Margaret waking me up for Saturday chores, the smell of Pine Sol and Ajax Cleaner, selling popcorn at Crosley field to the gridiron of Iowa State
I am from a line of strong, Soulful Folks that love to Teach that yearn to echo it again!

“And the Band Plays on”

No comments: